Ash's Card Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"You can only use/activate this effect of "Insert Card Here" once per turn."

4 posters

Go down

"You can only use/activate this effect of "Insert Card Here" once per turn." Empty "You can only use/activate this effect of "Insert Card Here" once per turn."

Post by Aquamarius 19th November 2014, 3:20 pm

The appropriate lore in the TCG
It seems like some people are bothered by the card text I listed in the title. It isn't a part of the sentence which actually lists the effect, which can cause confusion, and it takes up a lot more space than "once per turn". I have seen the usage of "once per turn for all x", but that frankly sounds very confusing to me and strikes me more as "once per turn for each x". For

Here's my idea: "You can only use/activate this effect of x once per turn" can be replaced with "only once per turn", in the place where "once per turn" would normally be. For example, here is a TCG card:
Add 1 "Spellbook" card from your Deck to your hand, except "Spellbook of Secrets". You can only activate 1 "Spellbook of Secrets" per turn.
And this would be our version:
Only once per turn: Add 1 "Spellbook" card from your Deck to your hand, except "Spellbook of Secrets".

This version takes up only a little more space than "once per turn", which should help with making card effects more readable. In general, I believe we should be cutting down on common card text whenever we can. Finally, these changes, if applied, should also be applied to once per duel effects.

Aquamarius

Back to top Go down

"You can only use/activate this effect of "Insert Card Here" once per turn." Empty Re: "You can only use/activate this effect of "Insert Card Here" once per turn."

Post by DIGITAL 19th November 2014, 6:56 pm

So "Only once per turn" and "Once per turn" are different because you can use multiple of the same card that say "Once per turn" but only one of the same card that says "only once per turn". Correct?
DIGITAL
DIGITAL
Admin

Back to top Go down

"You can only use/activate this effect of "Insert Card Here" once per turn." Empty Re: "You can only use/activate this effect of "Insert Card Here" once per turn."

Post by Aquamarius 19th November 2014, 8:16 pm

If Bobby The Killer has the effect "Once per turn: You can destroy a monster.", then if you get out multiple copies, you will be able to use it multiple times. In fact, you can reuse Bobby's effect if Bobby leaves the field and then returns, like being used as Synchro Material and then getting revived by Monster Reborn.

On the other hand, if Bobby The Killer has the effect "Only once per turn: You can destroy a monster.", you will only be able to destroy one monster with that effect. No matter how many Bobbies you bring out, no matter how many times you Reborn him, you will never be able to blow up more than one monster a turn.

Aquamarius

Back to top Go down

Post by DIGITAL 19th November 2014, 9:44 pm

I vote for this Grammar change.
DIGITAL
DIGITAL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by seattleite 20th November 2014, 1:05 am

This is even more elegant than my wordings. Love it!
seattleite
seattleite
Admin

http://www.duelportal.us

Back to top Go down

Post by Tungsten Butterfly 20th November 2014, 3:17 pm

I have never needed to make a card that needed a "Only once per turn" effect, but vote for it anyway.
Tungsten Butterfly
Tungsten Butterfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Aquamarius 29th November 2014, 3:37 pm

So, that's 4 votes yes. Anyone who disagrees, can you please make a post with a counterargument?

Aquamarius

Back to top Go down

Post by Tungsten Butterfly 29th November 2014, 6:56 pm

I was thinking on the content of the Hard OpT vs the soft OpT. If a card has a powerful enough effect to warrant having to limit the amount of times it can be literally used per turn, wouldn't the problem be with the effect?
Tungsten Butterfly
Tungsten Butterfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Aquamarius 29th November 2014, 7:00 pm

Hard OpT(nice term btw) is generally more to avoid exploits and loops than anything. But even if that was not true, there is nothing wrong with creating a powerful effect with drawbacks.

Aquamarius

Back to top Go down

Post by Tungsten Butterfly 29th November 2014, 7:11 pm

I forgot about that. I guess Hard OpT will come into play when more cards are made.
Tungsten Butterfly
Tungsten Butterfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down